In partnership with the NRL In League in Harmony Program and NRL Indigenous School to work Program, our Year 12 Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander students were invited to participate in the’ In League In Harmony Youth Advocates Leadership Workshop’ held at AAMI Park Stadium on Wednesday 27th March.
The Youth Advocates workshop is designed to give students in schools the opportunity to grow their leadership capacity through a series of educational and practical learning experiences. Through these capacity building activities, it is hoped that students will continue to contribute positively to their school, family and the wider community.
Guest Speakers included :
Shantelle Thompson – Barkindji Warrior
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champion
- Competing at the African/Oceania Olympic wrestling qualifiers in 2016
- Being named a member of the national Australian wrestling team
- Kiilalaana program founder and co-ordinator
- Woor-Dungin vice chair and volunteer
- Speaker in schools and community
Josh Addo-Carr (NRL – Storm)
Jeff Garlett (AFL – Melbourne FC)
Nev Jetta (AFL – Melbourne FC)
We were also blessed with a special guest appearance by the ultimate example of Sporting Leadership, Cameron Smith.
It was a fantastic day incorporating valuable and positive workshops promoting Advocacy and Leadership.