On behalf of the staff of Kurunjang Secondary College, I would like to welcome our students and their families back to Kurunjang for the beginning of a wonderful school year. A special welcome to our new students and their families.

I also trust that families have had an enjoyable holiday.

The start of the school year brings with it much anticipation for all. The college also recognises the importance of all stakeholders working together. We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our students can achieve their highest potential. We recognise that in order to be successful in school, our students need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:

  • Attends school daily and arrives on time with all their books and equipment, ready for the day’s learning experience
  • Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
  • Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
  • Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
  • Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school

We thank you for your support and look forward to meeting you.

Like all of you, I am very much looking forward to 2018.

I will also like to take the opportunity here to remind all families of the following:


The Victorian Government is offering financial assistance to eligible families to assist them with the costs of school trips, camps and sporting activities. This is called the CSEF [Camps, Sport and Excursions Fund].

If you hold a valid means‐tested concession card or are a temporary foster parent, you may be eligible for the CSEF which for secondary students is $225 per year. The allowance is paid directly to the school to use towards expenses relating to camps, excursions, or sporting activities for the benefit of your child. The application form is available on the CSEF site by visiting www.education.vic.gov.au/csef OR printed copies are available at the office. Please fill out and return to the school General Office by Friday 23 February.


In December 2015, The Minister for Education, James Merlino announced that Year 7, Government school, students eligible for the Camp, Sports and Excursions Fund [CSEF] are also eligible to receive a uniform pack which contains a jumper, PE shirt and shorts and either a dress or shorts or trousers and a shirt. It is intended to support families during the costly period when their children switch from primary to secondary school.

Applications are made to State Schools Relief through the student’s school.

Please let the school know when you are applying for the CSEF that you also wish to apply for the uniform pack. Further details on the uniform pack are available on www.education.vic.gov.au/csef OR printed copies are available at the office.

Please fill out and return to the school General Office by Friday 23 February.


To be eligible for a PTV travel concession card, you need to be:

  • studying full time in an approved higher education course
  • a citizen or permanent resident of Australia (special category visa holders excepted), or a student with refugee status, or studying as part of an approved overseas exchange program, or the holder of an Australia Awards Scholarship.

If you have a Victorian Health Care Card issued by Centrelink, you don’t need to apply for a PTV tertiary concession card – you can get the same public transport discount by showing your Health Care Card.

Please note that the College ID card is not recognised by Public Transport Victoria and fines can be imposed if students over 17 are using a concession fare and not carrying a PTV concession card.

The application forms for the PTV travel concession cards can be picked up from our general office or down loaded from the PTV website- www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/concessions/students.

You will require:

  • Two passport sized photos must be attached to the completed form
  • The office staff at the college will stamp & sign the application to confirm that the student is enrolled at the college
  • The signed form needs to be taken to a Premium Station (staffed)
  • A laminated ID card will be issued to the student
  • Cards are valid for one year; February to February



Any student who holds an annual or 6 month Student Pass must also have a laminated PTV concession card, regardless of their age. (i.e. a yearly or half yearly ticket which is pre‐paid).

If you have been issued a Vic Health Care Card by Centrelink, it can be used as proof of entitlement; no need to carry the PTV card.


We remind families that the Department of Education does not provide personal accident insurance or ambulance cover for students. Parents and guardians of students, who do not have student accident insurance/ambulance cover, are responsible for paying the cost of medical treatment for injured students, including the cost of ambulance attendance or transport as well as any other transport costs. It is the responsibility of parents or guardians to look into their preferred options in this regard. The Department cannot provide advice to parents or guardians on the purchase of individual student accident policy or ambulance cover.

Also, a reminder that private property brought to school by students, staff or visitors is not insured and the Department does not accept any responsibility

for any loss or damage. This can include mobile phones, calculators, toys, sporting equipment and cars parked on school premises. As the Department does not hold insurance for personal property brought to schools and has no capacity to pay for any loss or damage to such property, students and staff should be discouraged from bringing any unnecessary or particularly valuable items to school.


John Mitsinikos

College Principal